Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Will the planning pay off?

Today was the last day of prep work before the kiddos arrive tomorrow.  There are a few last minute things to take care of in the morning and with the help of my trusty assistant.  I've decided not to let the empty bulletin boards bother me.  It will be filled soon with the precious work of kindergartners-turned-first graders. I will also be adding to them as I introduce new items into our daily routine.  As of right now, my Daily 5 board is empty.  As I introduce each new piece, I will add it to my board and make it really meaningful for them.

On another note, I heard a really beautiful poem today, read by one of my colleagues at our faculty meeting:

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.

~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

Just a little reminder of how the little things can make the biggest difference not only in a child's life, but in our own lives as well. 

For my wonderful followers, I wish you all the best in your new school year.  May you be blessed with laughter, tears, growth, and love. If there are moments when it seems that life has turned itself upside down, turn yourself upside down with it.  Sometimes it's nice to view the world in a whole new way. 

-jt-

2 comments:

Cyndy said...

What a wonderful poem! I love that!!!! Thanks for sharing it and what an inspirational post! I hope you have a wonderful school year, as well!

Shellabelle said...

I really like that poem, thanks for sharing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...