Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

S.T.E.M., S.T.E.A.M, or S.T.R.E.A.M.?

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.  Those are the building blocks with which our country is trying to rebuild education.  And with good reason, too. The U.S. is desperately falling behind in these areas and with the exponential growth of technology, jobs, and human advancement, our children can not afford to fall behind.

Our summer reading includes this book:



I haven't finished it yet, but it is great at understanding how our current education system is not adequately preparing our children and students for becoming contributing citizens of our country.
They are learning how to take tests, but not to think for themselves.  Some say we are in the innovation age.  The next generation needs to be able to come up with fresh, new ideas.  This is what top companies are looking for.  If we can not provide these companies with qualified personell, they will look elsewhere...not in our country.  I can't wait to finish the rest of the book to see how Tony Wagner wraps it up, but it's a great read and not too dense. Definitely not a waste of time!

So to get back to the point of my post today, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on using STEM, STEAM, or STREAM in your classroom. Most schools have adopted the STEM model, but I think that including Reading and Art programs are also equally important.  As I prepare for the fall, I'll be chewing on these ideas and will let you know how it goes.  But here's your chance to sound off on it.  Any feedback would be WONDERFUL!!!  If I knew how to do a linky party, I'd start one. But alas, I'm a newbie and I have yet to learn all your cool tricks!  

Have a great weekend!

Aloha!
-Jenn-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi jen,
I got your comment on my post about the PB &J freebie. I would be glad to send it to you, however you are a no reply blogger--this means when you leave a comment I cannot reply back because it does not leave your email. Please email me at jessicaberggren27{@}gmail{dot}com and I will send you the freebie. My sister lives in Maui so I should be cognizant of the time difference--I hope your little ones will enjoy it!
Jessica
Tales of a First grade Teacher

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...